80% of caregivers who leave in the first year, will do so within 90 days. If you’re running a home care agency, you are going to lose some of your caregivers – that is just the reality of this industry. But how many? And at what cost?
So when will my caregivers leave?According to the 2018 Home Care Benchmarking Study, 57% of caregivers that leave within the first year will actually leave within the first three months. So, hypothetically, out of the 66 caregivers leaving your agency this year, 38 caregivers would be gone within the next 90 days! That’s the equivalent to losing over $30,000 a month during this time!
Percent of Caregivers Who Quit During the First Year of Employment, 2017
Positive ReinforcementPositive reinforcement can often be overlooked, but a caregiver’s daily routine is demanding and a simple “thank you” or saying “great job” after completing training can go a lot further than you may realize. Thousands of caregivers have year-after-year selected “verbal recognition” as the number one preferred method to be recognized, so why not listen?
Top 5 Ways Caregivers Prefer to be Recognized
- Verbal recognition by supervisor
- Vacation time, bonuses, perks, gifts cards
- Pay raise
- Recognition by client
- Company-wide recognition
- Texts and emails are a great way to give your caregivers a daily dose of support and motivation. Let them know they are doing well and really making a difference in their clients’ life with a quick text or a thoughtful email.
- Phone calls are another way to show your caregivers they matter; they can be quick and motivational or longer and personalized, especially if you do not want to go the route of online recognition (ex. a public leaderboard).
- Thank you notes are also a great way to show your caregivers you care about them. Depending on how big your agency is, writing thank you notes or printing them out can be a very thoughtful gesture and caregivers will, without a doubt, appreciate it.
- Employee of the week/month is also a great way to recognize your caregivers when they do amazing work. Home care agencies could have extra perks for people who win employee of the week/month, giving caregivers incentive to do their best work to win within a given week or month.