November is National Home Care & Hospice Month, and CareAcademy honors the contributions of direct care workers (DCWs) and the value they bring to their clients and families. These heroic caregivers play a central role in our healthcare system and in homes across the nation.
Assisted living software provides a range of functions to simplify facility operations and give administrators more time to focus on growing their business.
It coordinates and manages resident care, streamlines facility operations, automates back-office processes, schedules staff, stores records, and generates reports.
Software for assisted living facilities can include features that simplify facility management, electronic health records (EHR), electronic medical records (eMAR), compliance, patient medical records management, and marketing.
In this guide, we’ll explain how administrators can benefit from assisted living software and highlight eight of the best assisted living software platforms for different uses.
Why Do Administrators Need Assisted Living Software?
Assisted living software covers various processes and operations, from resident intake to employee scheduling, giving administrators more time to focus on growing their business.
Assisted living facility software allows administrators to recruit new residents, supervise building maintenance, maintain staff records, keep track of resident medical records, manage medications, and ensure regulatory compliance.
Here are the top three benefits of assisted living software:
1. Maintain compliance
Assisted living software ensures organizations and staff comply with health and safety regulations. For example, CareAcademy sends automatic reminders so that caregivers complete training modules and stay compliant. The software can also store electronic health and medical records in HIPAA-compliant servers.
2. On-demand training
On-demand training allows administrators to enroll caregivers in the system and auto-assign classes based on state requirements or specific client needs. For example, staff may need special training to care for a client who has dementia. Caregivers can access that training remotely via assisted living software and complete the classes at a convenient time.
Software for assisted living facilities can generate various types of reports covering occupancy, resident rosters, census, costs and finances, and medication management. Most systems can integrate with other software packages, like accounting and CRM, to provide more in-depth reports.
8 Best Assisted Living Software Platforms
Assisted living software varies from platform to platform.
Several streamline front-office tasks, others coordinate dining activities, some simplify billing, and others provide complete management tools.
Here are eight of the best assisted living software platforms by use case.
Best for: Training assisted living caregivers.
Overview: CareAcademy ensures your assisted living staff completes their training on time and remains compliant. When you add a caregiver to the system, it automatically assigns the classes they need to complete with the right due date.
“Admins of assisted living facilities report saving 95% of their time on training-related tasks.”
- Easy access to remote training.
- Upskilling pathways for ongoing education and specialization.
- Client-specific training for individual caregivers.
- Disease-specific advanced certifications.
- College credits for completed training via higher-education partnerships.
- Credentialing capabilities.
- Automatic reminders to keep your caregivers compliant.
Best for: Improving the dining experience.
Overview: eMenuCHOICE is a dining management and point of sale (POS) application for assisted living communities. Among its many benefits are improved staff efficiency, higher resident satisfaction, and simplified billing, which leads to fewer revenue losses.
- Improving resident experience with photos and descriptions of menu items.
- Reducing wait times and congestion in the dining areas.
- Eliminating mistakes from handwritten orders.
- Reducing overspending on food waste.
- Streamlining billing by removing paper and error-prone spreadsheets.
Best for: Monitoring seniors remotely.
Overview: Livindi keeps seniors safe, healthy, and happy with its range of wearable technology. Caregivers can respond instantly to alerts and notifications from sensors and buttons and reduce isolation and loneliness with video calls.
- Notifying caregivers of changes in bathroom, eating, and sleeping habits.
- Detecting changes in behavior that may lead to falls.
- Informing caregivers when seniors get in and out of bed and recording their sleep quality.
- Keeping track of medications and sending reminders.
- Video calling with Autoanswer and Closed Captions.
- Sharing pictures and videos on the LivindiPad tablet.
4. ECP Billing
Best for: Billing and invoicing assisted living residents.
Overview: ECP Billing helps you capture and update billing quicker so you can generate more revenue. It pulls data directly from the EHR to ensure that no revenue is lost.
- Maximize revenue capture by avoiding service creep.
- Invoice quickly and precisely with the automated AR tool.
- Build a customized repository of charges to assign items to residents.
- Ensure accurate recordkeeping by tracking services provided.
- Print or send invoices with a simple click of a button.
5. Senior Insight
Best for: Supporting assisted living residents and staff.
Overview: Senior Insight's assisted living facility software offers a wide range of features, such as medication management, assessments, marketing, billing, and document storage. You can access the user-friendly platform via desktop or mobile apps and store all data on HIPAA-compliant servers.
- Communicate with doctors and pharmacies via printed or electronic MARs.
- Set up your current assessment, modify a template, or access state forms.
- Document each resident’s care plan via eCare or printed ADL flow sheets.
- Access resident notes and medical records from any location at any time.
- Integrate with your accounting software to streamline billing and manage your accounts receivable.
- Market and sell your community and services.
Best for: Managing resident care and wellness.
Overview: Move-N software for assisted living facilities enhances resident engagement and minimizes inefficiencies, resulting in lower turnover, an improved census, and greater profitability. You can mix and match the Marketing, Resident Care, and Billing modules to your requirements.
- Access business intelligence to increase client numbers and revenues.
- Automatically nurture and convert leads into residents.
- Ensure caregivers can access the most recent assessments and individualized care plans.
- Decide how you want to bill your residents and their families.
- Streamline billing processes and minimize accounting errors.
Best for: Managing clinical risks.
Overview: ALIS (Assisted Living Intelligent Solutions) is a comprehensive suite of EHR tools for assisted living communities. The software allows you to manage staff and residents, mitigate risks, remain compliant across states, engage families, and get business insights.
- Track census, resident health records, and staff regulatory reviews.
- Mitigate risk, optimize staff time, and ensure resident wellness and safety.
- Improve communication and transparency with billing and revenue management tools.
- Keep families updated on their relative's well-being with ALIS Connect.
- Get detailed dashboards and comprehensive reports with ALIS HQ.
Best for: Managing senior healthcare.
Overview: Eldermark is an all-in-one assisted living platform that saves you time and money while raising the quality of resident care. The comprehensive software combines front- and back-office operations, including CRM, marketing, EHR, medication management, risk management, billing, and reporting.
- Senior living optimized CRM and marketing.
- Medication management and pharmacy integration.
- HIPAA-compliant messaging and document storage.
- Senior housing risk management.
- Resident billing and financials.
- Real-time clinical and operational performance dashboards.
Assisted living software simplifies operations, giving administrators more time to focus on growing their business. For example, CareAcademy improves your ability to find, train, and retain compliant and qualified caregivers.
With over 400 state-compliant classes and remote training for administrators and assisted living staff, CareAcademy ensures your facility offers the best possible resident care.